These sessions give mums-to-be the opportunity to exercise using the unique properties of water. Designed with you in mind, these sessions have been put together by our qualified instructors to ensure you get the safest and best aqua natal workout which not only helps you to relax but will give you the chance to meet other new mums-to-be.
- Delivery Benefits: Maintaining a good level of fitness helps ensure you are prepared for the physical demands of childbirth. It has been reported that those who exercise often have easier, less painful labor. Aquatic exercise is something you can do at all stages of your pregnancy allowing you to maintain a consistent routine.
- Core Strength, Stability, Posture: Working out in water provides resistance to the abdominal and lower back muscles which helps maintain correct posture. Water Fitness prepares your abdominals for how they are used in real life compared to land-based exercise. Water allows a larger variety of isolation exercises for the abdominal muscles because the pregnant body can move in ways not possible on land.
- Greater flexibility and balance: Providing assistance for upper and lower body motions, buoyancy is able to help enhance flexibility of tight and imbalanced muscle groups. This allows improved range of motion with less discomfort than if attempted on land.
- Low Impact: Exercising in the water significantly reduces the stress on your joints, bones, and muscles because of waters unloading property of buoyancy. This is a very safe and effective way to exercise for those who are pregnant as they can control the level at which they work.
- Reduced Swelling: Hydrostatic pressure helps reduce swelling. Research has shown that just being in the water can reduce swelling as effectively as drugs. One study found water aerobics had diuretic and oedema relieving effects similar to static immersion. For some women who develop oedema of pregnancy, Aqua Natal may be a good option for relieving this condition.
- Improved Circulation: Varicose veins and haemorrhoids develop as a result of venous pressure; exercise in the water has been shown to reduce this venous pressure. The combination of water pressure and movement of the muscles helps return blood from the veins in the lower extremities. The hydrostatic force of water also produces an increase of uterine blood flow that is essential to grow a healthy baby and placenta.
- Cooling: Pregnant women have an elevated core temperature and must be cautious about overheating themselves and the foetus during exercise, especially during the first trimester. Water that is an appropriate temperature (80- 85 degrees F) helps to cool the body effectively and maintain a safe body temperature during exercise.
- Increased Metabolism: An appropriate diet during pregnancy is important for the mother’s health and for proper prenatal development. Since aquatic fitness allows you to safely remain active at all times throughout your pregnancy, it is easier to ensure your weight gain is “all baby” (baby, placenta, and amniotic fluid.) Not only are you more comfortable during your pregnancy, if you exercise regularly it makes it easier to regain your original figure after delivery!
- Eases Gastrointestinal Problems: Movement with gravity aids digestive system function which sometimes becomes hindered by the presence of a foetus.
- Social: Last but not least, Aqua Natal is a great way to help you get out of the house and meet other expecting Mums with similar interests and hobbies.
Aqua Natal and our range of Water Fitness classes are the ideal way to workout before, during and after pregnancy.
There is also an Active Life Aqua Natal Facebook group that you can join to ask questions, share news and connect with other mums-to-be in the area. To find the group and join it, please click here.
Prices for classes are as follows:
5* and 3* Monthly Members – FREE
4* Members – £3.40
3* Members – £2.70
Non-Members – £5.00
For more information, please come in and see our Aqua Natal instructor Lynesey or call 01227 812486 or you can email email@example.com